Adaptor Kit For SAE Cables
These installation instructions contain information that can help prevent personal injury and damage to equipment. Understand the following symbols before proceeding:
(Safety Warning(: Alerts you to the possibility of danger and identifies information that will help prevent injuries.
NOTE: Identifies information that will help prevent damage to machinery.
IMPORTANT: Appears next to information that controls
correct assembly and operation of the product.
TO THE OWNER
The assembly procedures outlined in this sheet should be performed by a
skilled technician. If you have questions, see your DEALER. Save these
instructions in your owner's kit. This sheet contains information important to
the future use and maintenance of your engine.
TO THE INSTALLER
Give this sheet to the owner. Advise the owner of any special operation or
maintenance information contained in the instructions.
This kit is designed to allow SAE style shift and throttle cables to be used
with Concealed Side Mount Remote Controls, with or without trim.
Step 1. Prepare for Installation
1. Read complete instructions prior to starting work.
2. Check contents of kit to become familiar with new parts.
|Ref.||Name of Part||Qty.|
3. Tools Required:
- Phillips Screwdriver
- Long Nose Pliers
- 5/16, 3/8 in. Combination Wrench
Step 2. Installation of Shift Cable
1. Install cable trunnion (1) and connector (2) on SAE cable.
  
2. Install plastic retainer (A) and metal trunnion adaptor (B) (supplied with remote control) onto cable trunnion (1). Solid, closed end of turnnion (1) must face adaptor (B).
3. Install shift cable and trunnion assembly in REAR mounting position (D) of control housing assembly using anchor screw and nut supplied in the remote control kit. Open end of trunnion (1) must be visible through plastic retainer (A). Tighten nut securely.
will bind if the shift cable is installed in the wring position.
Step 3. Adjustment of Cable
NOTE: Refer to the engine manufacturer's instructions for
the required shift stroke and shift direction for your engine.
- Inner Hole - 2.8 in. (7,1 cm) total, 1.4 in. (3.56 cm) each side of center
- Outer Hole - 3.2 in. (8,1 cm) total, 1.6 in. (4,1 cm) each side of center
- Upper Cable Mounting Arm - Pull For FORWARD
- Lower Cable Mounting Arm - Push For FORWARD
1. Using a pencil, mark the cable core (A) in its fully retracted position.
2. Fully extend the cable core wire. Measure from the pencil mark (A) to the end of the cable casing (B). Divide the measurement in half to find the midpoint (C) of travel.
3. Position the cable core wire at its midpoint (C) of travel.
4. Thread the cable connector on until one full thread (D) is exposed. Adjust it (not more than one turn) either in or out to line it up with the hole (E) in the shift arm that will give you the shift stroke and direction of travel required for your engine. Lock the connector in place with nut (F).
NOTE: Be careful not to disturb the core wire's mid position adjustment.
5. Install the cable connector into hole (E) to be used in the shift arm and secure with a cotter pin (G) supplied in the remote control kit. Bend the end of the cotter pin for a secure attachment.
Always attach the control cable on the same side of the shift lever (H) as the cable anchor (I) on anchor plate. This will position the cable connector with the cotter pin facing the anchor plate assembly, and control cable parallel to the anchor plate assembly. Failure to attach the control cable correctly can cause binding of the control. Check movement of the control through its full range of motion for interference and binding.
Step 4. Installation of Throttle Cable
1. Refer to Step 2. Installation of Shift Cable #1 & 2, to assemble the trunnion, adapter, and retainer to the throttle cable.
NOTE: Refer to the engine manufacturer's information for
proper throttle direction of operation, (push or pull).
- Upper Cable Mounting Arm - Push to Close
- Lower Cable Mounting Arm - Pull to Close
2. Attach throttle cable assembly to the REAR mounting hole of the control housing assembly using anchor screw and nut supplied in the remote control kit. Tighten nut securely.
3. Thread the cable connector (2) on the throttle cable core wire until one full thread (A) is showing. Lock the connector in place with nut (B).
4. Attach the cable connector to the throttle arm hole with the cotter pin facing the cam and anchor plate assembly. Install the cotter pin (D) supplied in the remote control kit. Spread the ends to the cotter pin for a secure attachment.
Check the operation of the remote control. The warm-up function
should return freely. Equal friction should be felt in forward and reverse range
of travel. Any binding could cause remote control to jam when the cables are
attached to the boat and engine.
Step 5. Installation of Remote Control
Refer to the Instruction Sheet supplied with the remote control kit to finish the installation of the remote control housing in the boat.