OMC Cobra Upper Gear Housing Removal
Upper Gear Housing Removal
 1. Mount the vertical drive assembly in a suitable holding fixture and clamp it securely. Unscrew the lifting eye A and leave the oil level hole open so the oil reservoir vents when draining.
 2. Place a 4 quart drain pan under the lower gearcase. Remove the lower drain plug, discard the nylon washer, and let the vertical drive drain completely.
 3. Note the relationship of the gearcase index mark and trim tab grid B so the two can be realigned later. Remove the screw C and trim tab.
If there is no grid, scribe a reference mark on the gearcase and trim tab so tab can be reinstalled in the same position.
 4. Remove screw D under the trim tab, then remove screw E. Do not unscrew the anode screw F.
 5. Take out the four bolts along the underside of the upper gear housing.
 6. The upper gear housing is now held in place only by O-rings. Firmly hold the housing as shown and pull upward forcefully. Rotating the housing side-to-side while pulling will help free it.
 7. Lift gear housing until shift rod head disengages guide pin, then rotate head of shift rod 90 degrees to port so head clears exhaust opening when removing upper gear housing.