Filter Primer Kit P/N 398540Crowley Marine
These instructions will alter you to certain things you should do very carefully. If you don't, you could...
- hurt yourself or bystanders
- hurt boat operator, passengers
- damage the machinery
Safety symbol, , appears next to information important to prevent you and others from being hurt.
Note symbol, Note, appears next to information important to keep machinery from being damaged.
IMPORTANT: The important safeguards and instructions appearing in these directions cannot cover all possible conditions or situations that occur. The person following these directions must use common sense, caution and care.
Product Reference & Illustration
When reference is made to brand name, product or specific tool, an equivalent product may be used in place of the referred to product. Substitute products used must have equivalent characteristics, including type, strength, and material. Incorrect substitution may result in product malfunction and possible injury to the operator and/or passengers.
All photographs and illustrations used may not necessarily depict actual
models or equipment, but are intended only for reference. Specifications used
are based on the latest product information available at the time of
This filter primer kit can not be used on OMC Inboards. OMC Stern Drive, or Evinrude® and Johnson® Outboards of over 150 gross HP.
This primer kit is recommended for use with permanently installed fuel tanks.
The filter primer kit serves the same purpose as the primer bulb on portable
tanks. In addition, it will filter out dirt, water and other impurities before
they can enter the engine's fuel system.
Fuel Line or Hose Requirements
Either a 3/8 inch O.D. x .049-.032 inch wall thickness seamless copper,
nickel copper or copper nickel tubing or a 5/16 inch I.D. Reinforced Fuel
Resistant Hose (25 ft.) P/N 333341 should be used between tank and primer pump.
If tubing is selected, use Elbow Nut Kit P/N 387122 to connect it to primer
pump. If reinforced hose is selected, use Nipple Kit P/N 387121 to connect it to
1. The filter primer should be mounted higher than the fuel tank and in an upright position. Primer should be close enough to engine so the flexible fuel line supplied can be attached to the fuel connector on engine. Be sure there is enough slack in line to allow full turning and tilting of the engine. Two screws (B) are supplied for mounting primer.
All components of a permanently installed fuel system that contact fuel must be grounded to a plate mounted below the waterline outside the hull. This is to ground any static electrical charge and prevent sparks that could result in fire or an explosion. Anode Kit P/N 171637 is suggested as a ground plate. Refer to anode installation instruction for installation of anode.
Select the schematic that corresponds with your installation.
One fuel tank and one engine
One fuel tank and dual engines
Two fuel tanks and one engine
Two fuel tanks and dual engines
(A) - Anode
(E) - Engine
(P) - Primer
(T) - Tank
(V) - Valve
(G) - Gauge
(K) - Key Switch
2. After fuel system is fully installed, operate engine and check entire system for leaks.
3. Periodically check filter for water which may have collected in filter body.
4. Place a container below drain plug (C) and remove drain plug. After drainage has stopped, apply Pipe Sealant with Teflon P/N 910048 to drain plug threads. Install drain plug and tighten securely. Safely dispose of collected water and fuel. Start engine and run for a minute. Shut off engine and check drain plug for leakage.
Replacement of Fuel Filter
Replace the filter element and gasket annually.
1. Loosen yoke screw (D) and remove filter bowl and spring.
2. Remove and discard filter element and bowl gasket.
3. Wash bowl with clean solvent. Replace bowl if it is cracked or chipped.
4. Reassemble using a new filter element and bowl gasket.
5. Tighten filter bowl screw securely.
6. Start engine and check for leakage.
To the Installer
Installation Instructions to the future owner. The instructions contain safety
warnings and other information vital to the continued safe use of the product.
To the New Owner
Retain these Installation Instructions with your Owner's/Operator's Manual. They contain installation, adjustment and operating information for future reference.